About Me

I'm an elementary education major at BYU. I love learning, being silly, and making people smile. I'm your average five foot nothin' college student, I guess you could say. I love my life. I love my church.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Where has the time gone?

Hello, hello, hello!

Well, last I wrote I was in Minnesota. Now I've been in Provo for a week and four days. But it feels like I've been here much longer than that in a very good way. This is most certainly not a secret-spilling post (the world wide web simply isn't ready for that) but I just really wanted to write on my blog.

Mostly my evening plans fell through and I really don't want to do my homework. Because I only have one assignment due tomorrow and I was on campus/away from home for twelve whole hours today and this little body can hardly stand that.

The good news is that my life is so incredibly and surprisingly good. Although I anticipated Fall 2012 being awesome, I just didn't see it being this great. I guess that's a good thing because the whole "disappointment track" was completely avoided. I should spend more time talking myself into being reasonable about the future. It's worked out well this time around.

School is cool. My classes are incredible, and I am chomping at the bit to be in the classroom. I have Brad Wilcox for Literacy and it is seriously changing my life. He is so passionate about elementary education, it's inspiring! All of my classes are teacher classes now, so I spend a very significant amount of time thinking about my future students, my feelings about education and teaching, and my personal teaching philosophy. I wish I could express to those non-elementary education majors how much there is to think about and synthesize. I was discussing this in one of my classes today. Teaching isn't simply getting in front of a room and presenting material. Especially not in an elementary school classroom. A good teacher is not only thinking about content, but is taking into account the several and various needs of their students, their own teaching philosophy, the ultimate objective(s) of the activity, parent and school expectations, etc. The list goes on. In class today, we modeled an activity that could be done in a young class that involved marshmallows and toothpicks. I told some friends about this later...and they were astounded at how "easy" my major is. Well, here's the thing. I feel very strongly that teacher education is a hands on education. Sure, I could read a textbook about activities to do in the classroom, but why? Why do that when there are experienced teachers available who have tried (and failed or succeeded) and knows what works? With these  fun and simple activities, great learning takes place. Children are taught in very different ways from college students, and lecturing about sides and angles of shapes in front of a class of first graders wouldn't get the job done. It is through simple and clear methods that children are taught, but you better believe that there is theory behind those methods. A teacher has to back up everything she does, and if she's serious about it, you better believe she can and will.

Wow, that turned into a long and opinionated rant. Oh well, at least you know I love what I do.

All I have to say right now is that life is good, and maybe someday I'll be able to tell you all about it. But in the meantime, I'll let you wonder.

Here's a funny picture:


1 comment:

  1. Those people who commented on how easy your major is will be glad when their kids are in school that you had the type of education you did. :-)

    So glad life is going well for you dearie!

    ReplyDelete