About Me

I'm an elementary education major at BYU. I love learning, being silly, and making people smile. I'm your average five foot nothin' college student, I guess you could say. I love my life. I love my church.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Kindness begins with me

Brethren, it's time to get down to business. And by brethren, I mean everyone.

The meat of my blog post today will involve actual thoughts. Thoughts that have been swimming around in my head this week. And thoughts that I just think everyone should hear. Because I don't think I was the generator of these thoughts. I think Someone planted them there.

I'm just going to come right out and say it---

It makes me sad how little some consider other people, what a small priority caring for other people is, and how much more important it seems to be to be right to so many. I've seen it in my classes. I've seen it on the news. I've seen it in myself. I'm seeing it everywhere.

Friends, that is wrong.

We are here on this earth to take care of each other. To learn from each other. To grow with each other. What makes it so appealing to hurt each other, ignore each other, and tear each other down?

Pride.
Pride.
Pride.


We could accuse so many sources for this epidemic, but ultimately the answer lies within ourselves. Nothing is going to change until we as individuals can admit that we need other people and that we are not always right.

My mother has been saying that to me for years--"It's more important to be kind than to be right."

And she is 100% correct.

President Thomas S. Monson said,
"Never let a problem to be solved become more important than a person to be loved."

This is my call to action. Can we all be a little kinder? Can we all live as disciples of Christ and reflect His mercy in the way we treat other people. We are all children of God, and it's time we started acting like it. If God can love each and every one of us so immensely, I think we can afford to slow down, watch our words, and take the time to love. 


One of my favorite scriptures sums it up well:


"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen."



No comments:

Post a Comment